Hashtag Goal setting … blahhhh. 🙂
I’ve been informally doing goals all my life, and more formally since I started athletics and working in sales…so very young. Part of me is “over it”, and part of me totally understands… sometimes it is required and/or really beneficial.
I find however, it is ONLY beneficial if you are *already truly internally motivated towards the things you will be cultivating on and from that list. Otherwise, it’s possibly rhetoric, and you are bound to under-achieve what you listed, or feel underwhelmed by your results.
I like to ponder my own assessment formula first:
- what worked this past year, and why?
- what didn’t work, and why?
- what relationships supported me well, and I them?
- what relationships need work, and how?
- are there any relationships that need to be scaled back?
- what makes my soul absolutely SING? (books, serving others, people, activities…)
- am I growing positively as a person?
- if so, how am I growing?
- what area deserves the most growth/work this next year? (spiritual, financial, physical, etc)
- what is my THEME for 2014? (Giving. Risk. Professionalism. Marketing. etc)
Those are pretty simple to answer. Answer them Honestly for real results.
This is a great thing to ask your-real-self before goal setting.
We can all sit down and make lists if we need to. You can make them all day long.
But what is driving us? What is fueling us? What is in the way? These are good foundational questions, to make sure our goals are really where we want and NEED to go, and not where others think we should go (co-dependents, people pleasers??) or where we have assumed we should go…for some reason.
*What do you REALLY want, what is your soul calling you to do… and how do you need to operate in every aspect of your life to achieve that?
CILC | CMC | CEBC
Master Certified Business Coach
World Changer Leadership & Life Mastery Coach